Our client is a children’s charity that serves as a safe place for all children to come and play. As well as a seven-acre park and playground situated in Bloomsbury, London, they also have after school; and holiday programme and sports development programme, a youth centre and an early years programme. They are pleased to be recruiting for Senior Grounds Person to join their team.
This is a very varied and fully operational role and will involve a good deal of manual work, often outdoors. You will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of our clients hard and soft landscape maintenance plans. You will work with a small team of ground staff and volunteers to ensure that our unique, seven acre park for children in the heart of central London, is maintained to the highest of standards and remains an attractive and safe space for our many visitors.
The successful management, maintenance, and day to day running of our clients park, playground and facilities relies on a multi skilled and flexible team. The responsibilities below are the key requirements of the role however, from time to time, you may be asked to do other tasks to ensure the successful running of the site
- You will lead on the management, enhancement, and development of the grounds onsite.
- You will lead on the development and implementation of a systematic programme of hard and soft landscape management and maintenance, specifically focussing on our park, play areas, lawns, and green spaces, to ensure consistently high standards of maintenance across the site.
- It is for you to supervise and coordinate the work of the grounds team responsible for hard and soft landscaping, providing clear direction and allocation of tasks
- You will work closely with the grounds team to develop a strong understanding of the maintenance programme and to deliver staff training in the use of maintenance systems and processes (including the use of online management systems)
- You will supervise colleagues on the Grounds team, improving their skills and knowledge and demonstrating safe use of equipment where necessary. You will provide on the job learning and identify suitable external training where appropriate. You will provide feedback to the Buildings and Facilities Manager regarding performance as part of the appraisal process
- You will work with the Buildings and Facilities Manager to regularly review the non-cyclic priorities for the site, identifying short and medium-term schedules and delivering these with the support of the grounds team.
- You will work alongside the grounds team to carry out a range of regular and non-cyclic maintenance tasks across the site including those relating to: lawn maintenance, waste and refuse, leaf and pollen removal and the upkeep of play areas and water facilities.
- You will work alongside external contractors and carry out regular inspections and testing across the site to ensure compliance and best practice, e.g. in areas such as lawns, playgrounds, and water testing.
- You will support the Grounds person (Gardens and Open Spaces) to develop plans, informed by our land management strategy, for the enhancement of the sites gardens and growing spaces, providing accessible community engagement opportunities whilst promoting sustainability.
- You will support the Building and Facilities Manager to review the annual RoSPA play inspection report and to develop a schedule of maintenance and repair, delivered through the grounds team and external contractors, ensuring play areas are maintained to the highest standards
Minimum of 3 years’ experience of soft and hard landscape management in public parks and open spaces in a setting. You must also have significant experience of using and implementing a range of systems, processes, and procedures to deliver high quality soft and hard landscape management (including where appropriate online systems). You must have a background and interest in horticulture, with a minimum of RHS level 2 training or equivalent.